By Francis O'Gorman
- Opens up for the reader the cultural global during which the Victorian novel used to be written and read.
- Crosses conventional disciplinary boundaries.
- Provides clean views on how Victorian fiction pertains to diversified contexts, similar to classification, sexuality, empire, psychology, legislations and biology.
Read Online or Download A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary victorian criticism books
The degree portrayal of the Victorians in recent years is a key reference aspect in knowing notions of Britishness, and the profound politicisation of that discuss over the past 4 a long time. This book throws new mild on works by way of canonical playwrights like Bond, Edgar, and Churchill, linking theatre to the broader tradition at huge.
Within the wake of the loss of life of his pal Arthur Henry Hallam, the topic of In Memoriam, Alfred Tennyson wrote a number intricately attached poems, lots of which function pivotal scenes of rapture, or being over excited. This ebook explores Tennyson's illustration of rapture as a thorough mechanism of transformation-theological, social, political, or personal-and as a determine for severe strategies in his personal poetics.
The 19th century brought advancements in technology and medication that made the eradication of discomfort achieveable for the 1st time. This new realizing of discomfort introduced with it a fancy set of ethical and philosophical dilemmas. If soreness serves no visible function, how can we reconcile its life with a well-ordered universe?
The Victorian interval witnessed the start of a debate at the prestige of animals that keeps at the present time. This quantity explicitly recognizes the best way twenty-first-century deliberations approximately animal rights and the actual fact of previous and potential animal extinction hang-out the dialogue of the Victorians' obsession with animals.
- Precocious Children and Childish Adults: Age Inversion in Victorian Literature
- A Companion to the Victorian Novel (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
- The Cambridge Companion to Victorian Culture (Cambridge Companions to Culture)
- The Cambridge Companion to the Victorian Novel (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
- Ghost-Seers, Detectives, and Spiritualists: Theories of Vision in Victorian Literature and Science (Cambridge Studies in Nineteenth-Century Literature and Culture)
- The Cambridge Companion to Victorian and Edwardian Theatre (Cambridge Companions to Literature)
Extra resources for A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Concise Companion to the Victorian Novel (Concise Companions to Literature and Culture) by Francis O'Gorman
- Cara Murray's Victorian Narrative Technologies in the Middle East PDF
- New PDF release: Niemand ruht ewig (German Edition)